Introduction to Equipment Maintenance
In business parlance, right from mechanical assets to heavy off-road vehicles and computer systems can be categorized as equipment. Equipment maintenance is a process that ensures the reliability of the asset through routine upkeep and corrective repair work. Industries including steel mills, food processing, construction, plastics manufacturing and automobile manufacturing must focus on equipment maintenance.
One of the primary objectives of equipment maintenance is to prevent the breakdown of machinery and equipment and can be of the following categories:
- Preventive maintenance
- Predictive maintenance
- Corrective maintenance
- Routine maintenance
- Emergency maintenance
What are the functional benefits of Equipment Maintenance?
Aside from the mandated requirement for equipment maintenance, organizations will also witness other functional benefits from performing regular equipment maintenance. Some of them are
- Extend the lifespan of the equipment
- Minimize interruptions by preventing unscheduled downtime
- Reduce repair expenditure
- Enhance energy consumption and operational cost
- Prevent accidents, injuries, and fatalities due to faulty equipment
- Improve warranty coverage
To perform equipment maintenance, follow these simple steps
- Clearly define processes to analyze system performance data
- Monitor operations to become aware of potential issues
- Provide technicians and operators with proper training to identify and resolve issues
- Create accountability within the organization by assigning responsibility
- Conduct periodic inspections based on a strict equipment maintenance schedule
Equipment Maintenance Checklist
To ensure that the task in hand is carried out efficiently, it is essential to create a checklist of tasks based on safety, operation, repairs, records, and instructions. Here is a checklist to refer to while performing equipment maintenance
- Prepare a safety document that acts as a guide explaining the activities that should or should not take place
- Conduct tests on equipment to determine the operating conditions of the equipment
- Maintain a document of repairs or changes proposed and resolved for future reference
- Store equipment procedures and guidelines at a central location for easy access
- Read all instructions detailed by manufacturers to understand the working of an equipment
What are the steps in equipment compliance?
In order to be compliant, organizations must focus on creating an equipment maintenance plan that will help reduce losses in production, prevent accidents, and even improve efficiency. Here are the steps in equipment compliance
Create a maintenance team of managers and technicians from the operations department
- Keep a record of all the assets with relevant information such as model number, manufacturer ID, location, and any other asset information
- Prepare a maintenance procedure that defines the frequency of the maintenance procedures
- Prioritize tasks based on time, value, and resource required
- Train the team to repair and restore assets
- Update maintenance plan consistently to maintain compliance
Implement Equipment Compliance With ComplianceQuest
With CQ Equipment Management Solution, organizations can simplify equipment compliance management right from tracking, scheduling, maintaining calibration, performing regular maintenance activities, to reporting. It also enables users to have an on-demand 360-degree view of their equipment, including adherence to regulatory requirements and international standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO 10012. ComplianceQuest’s Equipment Management Software facilitates getting the best performance out of equipment and instruments, resulting in an improved production process and faster time-to-market, while reducing the cost of production.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of having quality software from ComplianceQuest for equipment maintenance?
CQ’s Equipment management software helps improve Return on Invested Capital (ROIC), reduce equipment downtime, and ensure calibration and preventive maintenance schedules are on track with an automated Equipment Management workflow. Here are some of the other features –
- Test, calibrate, and validate all equipment and instruments by automating the equipment lifecycle workflow with ComplianceQuest’s Equipment Management Software and ensure it meets your internal requirements
- Keep costs low with preventive maintenance – reducing downtime and repair, improve the life of the equipment, and ensure smooth operations and planned downtimes to prevent unscheduled disruptions to the production process by automating equipment maintenance workflow by scheduling maintenance, receiving notifications, and protecting your equipment from repeat breakdowns.
- Produce quality products that meet customer requirements, regulatory standards, and internal specifications and increase Return on Invested Capital (ROIC)
- Drive-up OEE metrics by ensuring the integrity of data and continuous improvement with an enterprise-wide view of all equipment-related data to help with overall decision-making related to equipment maintenance and replacement
- Streamline and digitize the process of helping enterprises meet standards such as ISO 10012 associated with calibration and maintenance
- Easily integrates with nonconformance and CAPA modules and helps with the effective utilization of resources for addressing high-risk issues and initiating preventive measures for future issues
- Prevent potential failures, loss of quality and resultant product recalls with well-calibrated equipment that ensures the products are manufactured as per specifications and meet internal and external standards
Who can utilize quality management software (QMS) for equipment compliance?
- QC Managers can establish internal and external parameters to measure equipment effectiveness and schedule periodic maintenance
- Calibration or Maintenance Techs can schedule regular inspections of equipment perform calibration or maintenance activities, document findings, and enable corrective action
- Provides management with oversight into equipment management, take strategic decisions on equipment acquisition and maintenance and initiate continuous improvements
- Helps plant managers and the shop floor team keep track of equipment-related metrics with ease
What are the features of CQ’s Equipment management?
Empower the plant head and shop floor team with a robust, proven equipment management solution. CQ’s Equipment management solution offers the following features –
- Tracking equipment – Track, schedule, and maintain calibration and report and have an on-demand, 360-degree view of all the equipment
- Scheduling of activities – Create flexible schedules for calibration and periodic maintenance activities at designated intervals
- Alerting for calibration or maintenance – Get alerts about the calibration or the maintenance of pending scheduled activities
- Calibration activities – Track, review, and sign-off calibration activities and store calibration certificates
- Maintenance activities – Document, track, and close various maintenance activities for specific equipment and review for compliance
- Reporting and analytics – Utilize pre-developed best-practices-based reports, create any number of additional reports and dashboards to suit the requirements
- Collaboration – Reach out to others across the enterprise and in the supply chain to solicit feedback without having to give up ownership of the tasks
- Mobile access – Access QHSE solution on the go, anywhere, anytime, and on any device