From the time of the industrial revolution to the 1980s, the single-minded focus on industrial and economic growth has cost the environment severely. Pollution and depletion of resources at a fast pace forced governments to wake up and realize the importance of the environment, health and safety. Frameworks that guide businesses on how to continue to grow while implementing sustainable business processes as well as making the workplace safe. In a stringent environment, regulatory bodies expect employers to create a safe workplace. This expectation is shared by employees who are concerned about their own safety. They feel more involved when they see their employers care and their productivity improves as a result. Customers and other stakeholders also have a positive perception about businesses that put the safety on par with quality and growth.
What is EHS Management?
Environment, health, and safety management is an all-in-one term that focuses on improving the EHS performance of a business. EHS management refers to the implementation of procedures focused on ensuring and improving the safety of workers and their surroundings. These processes play a significant role in achieving and maintaining the overall environmental goals of the organization. EHS Management (Environment, Health and Safety) is a crucial aspect of an enterprise’s operations. It not only helps minimize the impact on the environment and improve worker safety and well-being but also can improve employee retention, productivity, and enhance the brand image of the company spurring customer and corporate growth.
Why is EHS Management needed?
To overcome these challenges, OSHA mandated EHS management programs. Over the years, OSHA has conducted many studies that show the many needs of EHS management programs. EHS has
- Helped protect the planet from different environmental threats while still allowing businesses to thrive
- Focused on drastically improving worker rights and safety
- Ensured the safety of workers within organizations
Since a good EHS system leads to improved organizational performance, implementing it well can in fact benefit the organization. It should encompass the following steps to make sure it is deployed well and can help achieve goals:
- Identifying the key stakeholders
- Determining the applicable impacts and risks
- Mitigating those risks
- Defining objectives and targets aided by a management program to achieve these targets
- Allocating critical resources such as finance, technology, people, etc. to meet those objectives
- Implementing these mitigation strategies effectively on-ground and backing it up with an efficient monitoring program
What are the benefits of the EHS Management System?
For an EHS solution to enable the achievement of EHS goals, it requires effective communication strategies that enable the linking of all stakeholders, both internal and external.
An EHS system automates the processes to:
- Reduce the incidence and costs of workplace injuries while promoting a safety culture of accountability and responsibility
- Share safety information to keep the workplace informed and team on point
- Know the potential environmental risks and the actions taken to prevent them
- Manage hazards and prevent future recurrence to realize ROI
The benefits of automating the EHS processes include:
- Employee well-being and safety as a culture
- Sustainability and brand loyalty
- Productivity and transparency gains
- Revenue and market share growth
- An innovative mindset
Using EHS Management System, safety leaders can improve safety parameters and nurture a culture of safety among employees by:
- Communicating the need for safety by incentivizing safe behavior, establish consistent messaging, and create accountability
- Supporting safety measures with training to reinforce safe behavior
- Enabling transparency in incident lifecycle management to encourage employees to report as they see action being taken on their reports
- Making reporting easy and anonymous
- Top management involvement is essential to encourage employees to take safety seriously
- Risk identification, prioritizing risks based on the level of severity and mitigating risks will help ensure a safe environment
- Creating a centralized risk register can help safety leaders identify patterns and strive for continuous improvement
Features of CQ Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Management System
Manual systems or safety management on legacy systems can add to the challenges faced by safety leaders. By automating with an EHS software solution, safety leaders can ensure the well-being of the employees with greater efficiency. ComplianceQuest EHS provides an enterprise-wide view of data and processes that can enable continuous improvement (CI). The solution can help
- Standardize safety management across locations while also empowering employees to report near misses, incidents, and observations anonymously and track progress from anywhere.
- Establish root cause analysis and initiate corrective and preventive action where needed.
- Ensure training management, document management and also create a centralized register for identifying patterns and trends for continuous improvement. With OSHA enabling electronic submission of Forms 300 and 300A, a safety management system makes even reporting incidents simpler and more organized.
ComplianceQuest EHS System is a part of its enterprise-wide quality management system, thereby integrating all the processes seamlessly. ComplianceQuest EHS System enables automation of workflows and establishing a culture of safety and sustainability while meeting organizational goals. The key features of the ComplianceQuest EHS System include:
- Safety Event Reporting: EHS systems promote a safety culture to control risks and hazards at the workplace by ensuring workers have easy access to report injuries, accidents or near misses that could affect safety on the worksite. These reports can be addressed to manage the risk and get an effective response, and if required, be reported to a regulatory control agency like OSHA directly.
- CAPA: Full action lifecycle to investigate and address unwanted events, hazards, and to facilitate change management. The system can be used to assign to the right people, monitor the workflow, and provide full visibility as the process moves through verification of effectiveness.
- Worksite Inspections: Define schedules, checklists, and assess the type and level of safe activity for all or specific locations. Keep the health and safety inspections seamless, consistent, timely, and mobile on any device. CQ’s EHS management system allows managers to assign actions to unwanted findings – all within one record for easy tracking and trend analysis.
- Safety Observations: Provide workers a means to engage in the Safety Culture and to report positive or negative observations. Safety managers can use the data for trending or assign investigations and actions depending on what is required. Excellent for lessons-learned postings to the workforce.
- Compliance Management: CQ’s compliance management module is managed by Enhesa – the world’s largest provider of EHS regulatory requirements. The solution offers the capability of undertaking a regulatory applicability analysis for a particular geography/operation.
- Stakeholder Management: With ComplianceQuest H&S management solution, companies can manage all stakeholders, ensuring their participation and involvement in identifying key H&S risks as well as the root cause for any incidents.
Risk management: Using ComplianceQuest EHS System’s indigenously developed risk management module, businesses will be able to
- Maintain all hazards and risks in a consolidated document
- Categorize risks based on a thought-through risk rating methodology
- Classify risks based on the function/process/activity
- Follow the hierarchy of controls while determining control measures
- Assign risk owners and frequency of review
- Alter the risk level based on the effectiveness of the control measure
How can CQ EHS Management Software help companies?
A good health and safety program will reduce the cost due to injury, improve your safety culture, and enable informed health and safety-related decision-making for an efficient and effective operation. The EHS solution from ComplianceQuest is built on cloud-based and scalable SalesForce.com. It is flexible and modular, enabling businesses to deploy only the features that needed. It integrates with existing enterprise systems for seamless integration of EHS with operations. ComplianceQuest’s EHS management solution enables seamless management of an organization’s entire environment and safety program with a range of intuitively integrated tools and applications. CQ’s EHS management software allows companies to prioritize health and safety programs based on risk analysis and providing relevant and timely data.
While there are some benefits that can be measured, implementing an automated EHS solution such as CQ’s EHS management software also provides some intangible benefits such as:
- Safe & Productive Workplace: Automating EHS and ensuring a safe and healthy work environment helps in improving employee morale and productivity.
- Transparency: Digitizing increases the transparency of risk management and reporting incidents and accidents.
- Time Management: Optimizes employee performance by allowing them to focus on core tasks by automating document management, right from creation to revision, approvals, and even filing.
- Going Paperless: Digitizing documentation is a sustainability initiative. Earlier, ISO 9001 involved a lot of paperwork. In fact, there was a post called management representative whose role was to file and store the papers for ISO.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does automation of the environment, health and safety processes help?
Safety management is about preventing incidents proactively. Automation helps organizations stay ahead through a risk-based approach thus improving safety outcomes and promoting organizational and operational excellence. Automatic proactive and reactive reminders are provided to further organizations’ compliance goals.
- Improvement in supplier visibility
- Increase in operating margin
- A decline in product recalls
What are the benefits of cloud-based EHS?
- Analytics and Dashboards: Have the Health and Safety metrics of the workplace available anytime, anywhere for improved decision-making and oversight. Keep a record of potential risks and the actions taken for future reference.
- Safety Notifications and Collaboration: Improve Health and Safety communication and transparency. Like and follow relevant records in the system and decide how and when to be notified of changes.
- Mobile Access: Access the solution including reports, approvals, record views, reviews, alerts, etc. on the go, anywhere, anytime, and on any device. This ensures business continuity and improves efficiency, visibility, and flexibility.
How does EHS affect ROI?
- Compliance: Managed by Enhesa, the solution offers the capability of undertaking a regulatory applicability analysis for a particular geography/operation.
- Risk Management: Through clearly visible reports on hazards and risks, organizations can prevent accidents and implement better control measures
- Reputation: The software helps to effectively report injuries, accidents, or near misses that could affect safety thus improving monitoring that will help in enhancing brand reputation, which is good for business