Last month, we started a blog series on how a cloud-based EQMS can drive efficiency in various sectors. In our earlier blogs (in this series), we covered the role of an EQMS like ComplianceQuest in manufacturing, life sciences and hi-tech segments.
In this post, we analyse the key trends shaping the future of the automobile industry and how an EQMS can drive digital transformation and automation to enhance quality and compliance processes.
Analysing the automotive industry is exciting for several reasons, but there is one aspect that must be carefully noted. The automotive industry itself is going through a major transformation. The terminology itself has been given an overhaul and auto OEMs are gearing up for the Future of Mobility.
The Macro Trends
- Experts believe that the future of Urban Mobility will be redefined by three major factors – Smarter, Faster and Greener.
- Smart Cars will be fitted with next-generation IoT devices to enhance both consumer and service experience. Engines can be upgraded on-the-fly thanks to becoming an “IP connected” automotive part. In-car entertainment systems will truly become next-generation. And this list could go on.
- The car of the future will mostly be electric. In the medium term, as the public infrastructure for electric cars is built, hybrid cars will become more common and that is certainly the right way forward.
- While fully autonomous or even Level-4 autonomous vehicles are still probably several years away, the automotive industry is gearing up for Level-3 autonomous vehicles.
- The most important aspect to note here is that this future will not only impact passenger cars but commercial vehicles, trucks, two-wheelers, electric bikes, e-Trucks, etc.
- Culturally, we’re also seeing the launch of new ways of using a car, through subscription business models rather than ownership of a single car.
- There is also a supporting ecosystem of charging stations and new methods of service delivery for electric vehicles.
- Additionally, automotive software will emerge as a separate category in this sector.
- According to a study by McKinsey, worldwide EV sales are now approaching 2.3 million vehicles, with a market penetration of 2.4 percent in 2019. And we can expect 400 new battery-based EV models to hit the market by 2025.
- In addition to all these emerging trends, auto majors are embracing the latest trends in digital transformation and Quality 4.0 to ensure best practices for quality and compliance. This includes a data-driven approach to supplier quality management, safety data tracking measurement, analytics-based approach to adding new features, etc.
The Role of an EQMS in the Automotive Landscape
Over the years, the automobile industry has been a role model for next-generation manufacturing and quality best practices.
In the auto sector, driving productivity and efficiency through Continuous Improvement (CI) and Total Quality Management (TQM) has been the norm. The industry has embraced well-known frameworks like IATF 16949 and ISO 9000 for several years now.
An EQMS like ComplianceQuest, built on the Salesforce platform, will work with quality leaders in the automotive sector to deliver the following experience:
- A scalable, customizable EQMS product like ComplianceQuest is critical, as the auto industry gets transformed. An auto OEM or Tier-1 supplier will need a supplier quality management system that is reliable, stable, secure and also serves as the single source of all key quality events. These metrics may vary by product line (for example, an OEM’s EV line may want to track some new metrics) and a cloud-based EQMS like CQ is designed to handle such customization.
- The ComplianceQuest product is also well-suited to enhance collaboration – with customers, suppliers, and internal teams. It enables easy sharing of quality and compliance data.
- A cloud-based document management system will work well, even as diverse teams drive innovation and new product development.
- It drives efficiency into the audit management process, helping taking corrective action as needed based on data and metrics.
- In a world where there is so much disruption, research and experimentation are part and parcel of any innovative enterprise. The Change Management and Risk Management solutions offered by ComplianceQuest will ensure there is a method amid chaos, creating a predictable process for delivering R&D outcomes.
- ComplianceQuest also helps automobile manufacturers track non-conformances and contain safety issues rapidly.
- Last but not the least, insights drawn through predictive analytics of quality data will enable auto manufacturers to make more strategic decisions based on supplier, consumer and internal quality events.
Overall, a real-cloud based EQMS drives efficiency and productivity while reducing the complexity of operations, in a sector that is seeing rapid change, innovation and progress.
Request a demo and we can share more insights into how ComplianceQuest has delivered digital transformation and automation for several automotive OEMs, Tier-1, Tier-2 suppliers, Supplier to e-mobility companies and even emerging players in the connected and autonomous vehicle segment.http://www.compliancequest.com/industry/automotive
Write to us at [email protected] for a demo.