What is behavioral observation?
Behavioral observation is the systematic recording of behavior by an external observer. The systematic nature of behavioral observation is characterized by detailed procedures designed to collect reliable and valid data on client behavior and the factors that control it. Behavioral observations are an opportunity to deliver both positive and constructive feedback. It is a feedback session structured around observations of a particular behavior or a set of behaviors, and a feedback-rich environment is one in which everybody is learning. An effective observation process offers
- Feedback on the effectiveness of the safety program
- Social consequences for safety
- A baseline for setting improvement goals
- Practice in observing and discussing safe behavior
Besides improving productivity, behavioral observation can help establish a positive, safe work environment by inculcating a culture that promotes teamwork and takes ownership of actions. Some of the other benefits of behavioral observations include –
- Provides a baseline to set improvement goals
- Improves safety practices of the observers and the observed
- Increases situation awareness
- Creates a forum for recognition of positive behaviors
What are the principles of behavioral observation?
Behavioral observation can be implemented across industries such as marine, retail, construction, manufacturing, and healthcare.
- Define clear, realistic, and achievable goals
- Start with a small department or section of the organization
- Expand observation radius to other companies to get an idea of their experiences
- Improve internal communication to get better results
- Increase employee involvement and participation
- Follow the company’s language to reach the employees better
- Concentrate and identify the root cause of errors and accidents
- Emphasis on safety is a core value instead of safety
How does behavioral observation work?
A successful observation program involves employees conducting observations on each other. However, the safety leader is required to complete the behavioral observation process. The leader should be involved right from the design stage and provide continuous feedback on the program’s success. During the process of behavioral observation, the leader will also be responsible for any environmental or procedural changes that result from observations as employees do not have the authority to carry out, like hazard removal.
How to successfully implement behavioral observation?
- Prioritize top management’s involvement in propagating safety as a value is pertinent to the organization
- Create a committee to oversee and drive the observation initiative
- Include behavioral observation as part of the safety culture
- Communicate consistently with employees to create a sense of inclusivity
- Train employees on various safety skills, observation skills, and coaching skills
- Emphasis on the need for observation and feedback process to improve safety standards
- Keep the observation list concise and easy to read for future reference
- Make positive reinforcements to build employee morale and participation
- Offer rewards and incentives for up keeping safety standards
CQ strategies For Behavioral Observation
Centralize all incident data, near misses, safety observations, investigations for implementing agile corrective actions with ComplianceQuest’s Health and Safety Incident Management Solution. Instilling an enterprise-wide safety culture can reduce the cost of compensation, improve employee productivity and morale, enhance brand reputation, and increase regulatory compliance with the ComplianceQuest Health and Safety Incident Management solution. The search feature is “global by design,” making it easy for health and safety leaders to find anything related to specific injuries, incidents, or illnesses from the past and using this to plan safety management and risk mitigation strategies based on data.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can CQ’s Health and Safety Incident Management help organizations?
- Empower employees to report incidents or near-misses to proactively reduce the number of incidents
- Spot trends and patterns and use predictive analytics to decipher which injuries or safety hazards are likely. Mitigate risks in time using a solution that is designed for data visibility, traceability, and accountability of safety actions
- Take preventive measures with a “system of collaboration,” helping various teams and key stakeholders collaborate and work together. Allows for the positive reinforcement, wherein a successful safety action taken is appreciated and noted for future reference
- Produce OSHA 300, 300A, or 301 incident forms electronically with just a few clicks. As regulations become increasingly complex and expansive, more companies move into the OSHA severe violator category each year. The social cost of injuries is profound, the loss of productivity difficult to quantify, and compensation costs are estimated to be close to $1B in the US alone. CQ Health and Safety Incident Management drives efficiency into the process of regulatory compliance
- Put employees-first. ComplianceQuest’s Health and Safety Incident Management is designed for the entire organization with collaboration, analytics, dashboarding, and predictive intelligence features all designed with this goal in mind
What are the features of CQ’s Health and Safety Incident Management?
- OSHA reporting and compliance – Produce OSHA 300, 300A, and 301 incident forms electronically with just a few clicks
- Near miss – Ensure that a near miss never becomes an incident by reporting and tracking any unplanned event that did not immediately result in an injury or damage
- Incident submission/wizard – Quickly and easily triage near miss and safety events from a streamlined point of entry
- Employee portal – Employees and contractors leverage a common easy to use interface to complete safety tasks and ensure compliance
- Injury and illness – Easily track, manage, and report on any incident from initial entry to completion
- Property, assets, and motor vehicles – Create comprehensive reports with pictures on all property, assets, or motor vehicle-related incidents, the causes, costs, corrective actions, and trends easily and in one place
- Environmental hazards and spills – Track environmental-related hazards and spills and stay compliant at all times
- Reporting and dashboards – Access real-time reporting anytime on any device and create accessible, useful dashboards with just a few clicks to analyze and garner insights from data. It also offers the ability to drill-down and analyze health and safety data by location or injury type